Sometimes the craving for pizza cannot be ignored, cannot be beat. Living by myself often means that making the dough and baking a large pie takes too long and is far too much work to satisfy one encroaching craving. Plus going out to get a slice or ordering-in generally isn’t the healthiest option.
This is my go-to in these situations. You can do just about any combination of toppings (though stay away from really moist and heavy ingredients like ricotta). I chose Hawaiian style because I had extra pineapple in the fridge, plus it’s absolutely delicious.
Nutritious and satisfying, this recipe is just about as easy as it gets!
– 1 whole-wheat or whole-grain large pita
– 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
– 1/4 cup (or more to your preference) shredded mozzarella
– 1 slice Canadian bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
– 1/4 cup fresh pineapple chunks
– 1 tsp. dried oregano
– kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat your toaster oven or oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pita in a foil-lined baking sheet, and evenly drizzle the evoo over the pita. Add the tomato slices, then sprinkle on the cheese. Top with the bacon, pineapple, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the pita is golden around the edges and the cheese is fully melted. Enjoy!